Who Doesn’t Pay Taxes And Why
Mitt Romney is in a bit of hot water for comments he made during a closed-door fundraiser about the 47% of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes.
I’m generally pretty sympathetic to people saying stupid things in closed-door fundraisers, but the whole flap raises an interesting question: Is it really true that 47% of Americans pay no federal income tax? And who are these people? And do they believe that they are victims entitled to health care and housing?
How many people don’t pay federal income tax in the US?
Lots of people. The 47% stat is accurate, as long as you only count federal income taxes. (More than 85% of Americans under 65 pay either income tax, federal payroll tax, or both—and almost all Americans who own land and/or buy things pay state and local taxes.)
Who are these people?
Many elderly people who live off social security pay no income tax (social security benefits are only taxable if your total income is over $25,000 a year). Only about 25% of Americans over the age of 75 pay federal income tax, but it’s important to remember that most of them did pay federal income tax when they were working.
Also, many young adults pay no income taxes, because they are full-time students or have very low incomes. You can see a chart here that shows that about 30% of 18-year-olds pay federal income tax, while over 65% of people in their 40s do.
People living in poverty are also unlikely to pay federal income taxes. A married couple filing jointly making under $18,700 annually pays no income taxes. But it’s worth noting that in 1996, 99.5% of all nontaxable returns came from people making less than $30,000 a year. Today, that number is closer to 76%.
The fastest growing segment of Americans who pay no tax are those who earn between $75,000 and $100,000 each year. As explained here, there’s been a 12,000% increase in nontaxable returns in this income category thanks to middle income tax cuts and tax credits introduced by both George W. Bush and Barack Obama.
Romney’s central mistake is imagining the data as static. In 2000, for instance, I paid no federal income tax. This doesn’t mean that I am a drain on the system: In fact, I have paid lots of federal income tax in other years. 2000 just happened to be a weird year, because I had a lot of health care expenses and not very much income.
This is the case for most Americans: Romney’s comments implied that the same 47% of Americans pay no federal income taxes every year. In fact, the members of that 47% are constantly changing as people age into and out of the work force.
Do these people believe that they are victims entitled to health care and housing?
4725 Notes/ Hide
- econruth reblogged this from econruth
- gyozana likes this
- ohmmmmmmm333 reblogged this from isilienelenihin
- klexenia likes this
- eclaireevans likes this
- veritascara likes this
- craictropical reblogged this from isilienelenihin
- craictropical likes this
- mad-marquise likes this
- c-has-a-blog reblogged this from isilienelenihin
- isilienelenihin reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- tokaysiren likes this
- andnonefornonsensebye reblogged this from pink-owls
- norulesnobras likes this
- vikingslovespam reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- illbehereforawhile reblogged this from leadencirclesdissolve
- sherlockedholmie likes this
- darklordfluffypoopykinz reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- eciffo-hours reblogged this from stackedcrooked
- maxidaisy reblogged this from candidlycara
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- silyx likes this
- menghasilkan-uang likes this
- financiallease reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- globalessayz reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- theonlyoneilune reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- secksy-man-nips reblogged this from estifito
- secksy-man-nips likes this
- sarcasticnerd reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- prokopenko1 reblogged this from mostlygeeky
- attenboroughcantouchmypenguin likes this
- taffyy likes this
- mostlygeeky reblogged this from prokopenko1
- stuckinthisjealousy reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- metrosideros-polymorpha reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- wanweird-of-an-argonaut likes this
- alyssaluvsyalots likes this
- fuckyeahdanradcliffe likes this
- iamkissedbyfire reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- thesinkingqueen likes this
- bananafrog01 likes this
- taneeji likes this
- dauntlessshadowhunters likes this
- dauntlessshadowhunters reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- hungry-and-nocturnal likes this
- falser likes this
- ah-thenah reblogged this from project-argus
- careuhhlynn reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds