David Mamet writes this week’s cover story on GUNS. Here’s an excerpt:
Karl Marx summed up Communism as “from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.” This is a good, pithy saying, which, in practice, has succeeded in bringing, upon those under its sway, misery, poverty, rape, torture, slavery, and death.
For the saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia. The agency is called “The State,” and the motto, fleshed out, for the benefit of the easily confused must read “The State will take from each according to his ability: the State will give to each according to his needs.” “Needs and abilities” are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to “the State shall take, the State shall give.”
All of us have had dealings with the State, and have found, to our chagrin, or, indeed, terror, that we were not dealing with well-meaning public servants or even with ideologues but with overworked, harried bureaucrats. These, as all bureaucrats, obtain and hold their jobs by complying with directions and suppressing the desire to employ initiative, compassion, or indeed, common sense. They are paid to follow orders.
Rule by bureaucrats and functionaries is an example of the first part of the Marxist equation: that the Government shall determine the individual’s abilities.
As rules by the Government are one-size-fits-all, any governmental determination of an individual’s abilities must be based on a bureaucratic assessment of the lowest possible denominator. The government, for example, has determined that black people (somehow) have fewer abilities than white people, and, so, must be given certain preferences. Anyone acquainted with both black and white people knows this assessment is not only absurd but monstrous. And yet it is the law.
President Obama, in his reelection campaign, referred frequently to the “needs” of himself and his opponent, alleging that each has more money than he “needs.”
But where in the Constitution is it written that the Government is in charge of determining “needs”? And note that the president did not say “I have more money than I need,” but “You and I have more than we need.” Who elected him to speak for another citizen?
It is not the constitutional prerogative of the Government to determine needs. One person may need (or want) more leisure, another more work; one more adventure, another more security, and so on. It is this diversity that makes a country, indeed a state, a city, a church, or a family, healthy. “One-size-fits-all,” and that size determined by the State has a name, and that name is “slavery.”Gun Laws and the Fools of Chelm†, Newsweek
Pro tip: You lose 100% of your credibility 100% of the time when you use the word “slavery” to describe anything other than slavery.
Further Pro Tip: There are already MANY weapons that private citizens are legally prohibited from owning, like for instance nuclear warheads. If preventing the extinction of the human species is unconstitutional, then we should amend the constitution in a hurry.
Sad to see Newsweek stoop to linkbait tabloiding in its shift to digital, although maybe this sort of thing is inevitable. I’ve reluctantly unfollowed their tumblr.
1460 Notes/ Hide
- mashanana reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- bbeckyboots likes this
- mindofmorgan likes this
- fiftyshadesofgwen likes this
- carry-on-my-weyward-sisters reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- read-listen-eat likes this
- wrackspurthunter reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- wrackspurthunter likes this
- wontyouopenupyoureyes likes this
- wh0a-bitch reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- wh0a-bitch likes this
- retro704 reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- allforonewegauge likes this
- norqe likes this
- prophetofthebored likes this
- lameandsad likes this
- lolafizz likes this
- toofarfromnowhere likes this
- dusty-soul reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- pavlovssdaughter likes this
- thesuperfeyneednoshoes likes this
- kuntessential likes this
- teengaga likes this
- wakawakaafrica likes this
- livingenough likes this
- istillhateruby likes this
- onekingsthreetwentyfive reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- ohibokeed likes this
- atticus-lee likes this
- manque-damour likes this
- sherlock-get-the-salt likes this
- gentlemen-sharpen-your-pencils likes this
- booboothedude likes this
- tellarad reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- wickedwitch-ofthemidwest reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- ifindyourlackofbooksdisturbing likes this
- hotelpornography likes this
- belikesagan reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- puppy-eater reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- stunpowder likes this
- professorcheesums likes this
- temporary-hope likes this
- wicked-dance reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- emptybottlesandcigaretteends reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- true-who reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- true-who likes this
- emptybottlesandcigaretteends likes this
- stopstarestreak likes this
- druid-girl likes this
- circulartime likes this