Nerdfighter Benedict? Or just failed Vulcan?
As far as I can tell, there are eight possibilities here. (I’ve spent a fair bit of time thinking about this.)
1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a hardcore nerdfighter and when Martin Freeman threw up a gang sign, Cumberbatch was like, “I have one of those.”
2. Cumberbatch, who obviously has a relationship with Star Trek, just naturally changed the Vulcan sign (pulling in the thumbs, turning the palms inward, crossing the arms) in precisely the same way that I happened to change the Vulcan sign when I first made the nerdfighter sign in the halcyon days of 2007.
3. One of the interns on set who has gained the trust of Benedict Cumberbatch was like, “If you do your hands like this, the Internet will get really excited.” And so he did.
4. BBC, in their infinite wisdom, staged the entire photo and Cumberbatch was taught the nerdfighter sign (I MEAN LOOK AT THE PERFECTION OF HIS NERDFIGHTER SIGN! He seems so comfortable and confident in it, almost as if it is muscle memory, almost as if he has flashed it to his laptop screen on hundreds of occasions in the past, but I digress) and this photograph was staged to get people psyched for Sherlock, although what tiny segment of nerdfighteria is not already psyched for Sherlock? Also, if this is the case, who is Martin Freeman trying to advertise to? Residents of the West Side?
5. Benedict Cumberbatch has a relative or a friend who is a nerdfighter and so he is passingly familiar with nerdfighteria and liked what he has seen and wanted to make us all very happy.
6. The nerdfighter sign also happens to be the hand sign of some obscure English gang with which I am unfamiliar called like The East London Wanderers or The Slightly Intimidating Liverpudlians or whatever.
7. Nerdfighteria actually figures in the plot of the new season of Sherlock. Perhaps a nerdfighter has been (wrongly no doubt!) accused of a murder.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch was playing some kind of British version of Rock Paper Scissors against two invisible opponents, and he went double scissors (as any smart person would).
32574 Notes/ Hide
- isthiscleverenough likes this
- doctorcarly likes this
- visit-the-dark-side reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- on-pluto reblogged this from bestbromancecompany
- foudroyantthoughts likes this
- turkeythulhuoracle reblogged this from namethatfandom
- namethatfandom likes this
- namethatfandom reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- justnoticetheuniverse reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- justnoticetheuniverse likes this
- officialanncoulter likes this
- orikaorui reblogged this from bestbromancecompany
- takenflyght likes this
- mryamok likes this
- emilybinns likes this
- selahbadwolf likes this
- itsmmmstuff reblogged this from bestbromancecompany
- malicesilver likes this
- 221b-baker-street-boys reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- 221b-baker-street-boys likes this
- dufflez reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- dufflez likes this
- choanne95 reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- choanne95 likes this
- nomorebookspace reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- theconsultingteenager likes this
- theconsultingteenager reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- mysoulrunsdeep reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- dreamswerethunder reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- calvinandhobs reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- calvinandhobs likes this
- macroevolutionary likes this
- ravenclawesome17 reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- ravenclawesome17 likes this
- buriedinthesky reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- yesterdaythebirddidsing likes this
- kopfabhase likes this
- multihullu likes this
- dandelionmeadow reblogged this from allons-y-tosavetheworldagain
- dandelionmeadow likes this
- allons-y-tosavetheworldagain likes this
- allons-y-tosavetheworldagain reblogged this from big-fandom-mess
- big-fandom-mess reblogged this from bowlegged-santa
- big-fandom-mess likes this
- bowlegged-santa reblogged this from soverysherlocked
- oldvlad likes this
- morfinwen reblogged this from mirainawen
- do-i-have-to-be-a-real-adult reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds