Nerdfighter Benedict? Or just failed Vulcan?
As far as I can tell, there are eight possibilities here. (I’ve spent a fair bit of time thinking about this.)
1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a hardcore nerdfighter and when Martin Freeman threw up a gang sign, Cumberbatch was like, “I have one of those.”
2. Cumberbatch, who obviously has a relationship with Star Trek, just naturally changed the Vulcan sign (pulling in the thumbs, turning the palms inward, crossing the arms) in precisely the same way that I happened to change the Vulcan sign when I first made the nerdfighter sign in the halcyon days of 2007.
3. One of the interns on set who has gained the trust of Benedict Cumberbatch was like, “If you do your hands like this, the Internet will get really excited.” And so he did.
4. BBC, in their infinite wisdom, staged the entire photo and Cumberbatch was taught the nerdfighter sign (I MEAN LOOK AT THE PERFECTION OF HIS NERDFIGHTER SIGN! He seems so comfortable and confident in it, almost as if it is muscle memory, almost as if he has flashed it to his laptop screen on hundreds of occasions in the past, but I digress) and this photograph was staged to get people psyched for Sherlock, although what tiny segment of nerdfighteria is not already psyched for Sherlock? Also, if this is the case, who is Martin Freeman trying to advertise to? Residents of the West Side?
5. Benedict Cumberbatch has a relative or a friend who is a nerdfighter and so he is passingly familiar with nerdfighteria and liked what he has seen and wanted to make us all very happy.
6. The nerdfighter sign also happens to be the hand sign of some obscure English gang with which I am unfamiliar called like The East London Wanderers or The Slightly Intimidating Liverpudlians or whatever.
7. Nerdfighteria actually figures in the plot of the new season of Sherlock. Perhaps a nerdfighter has been (wrongly no doubt!) accused of a murder.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch was playing some kind of British version of Rock Paper Scissors against two invisible opponents, and he went double scissors (as any smart person would).
35256 Notes/ Hide
- theanimeotaku13 likes this
- e-ruhi reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- the-ood-whisperer reblogged this from catsandtardishats
- catsandtardishats reblogged this from neekae-chan
- vinillabob7999 reblogged this from bestbromancecompany
- vinillabob7999 likes this
- below-average-forever reblogged this from bestbromancecompany
- below-average-forever likes this
- twinkelbel reblogged this from half-past-chaffinch
- twinkelbel likes this
- half-past-chaffinch reblogged this from aspieat221b
- alaskayoungisalive likes this
- accio-fob likes this
- vulcanunicorn reblogged this from wandsalight
- vulcanunicorn likes this
- renagiorgi likes this
- rantybisexualboy reblogged this from youve-got-your-love-online
- rantybisexualboy likes this
- fluffy685 reblogged this from bestbromancecompany and added:
- fluffy685 likes this
- wandsalight reblogged this from youve-got-your-love-online
- wandsalight likes this
- alpacasongallifrey reblogged this from youve-got-your-love-online
- mental-kase reblogged this from aspieat221b
- mental-kase likes this
- looptilou reblogged this from marvelllock
- looptilou likes this
- marvelllock reblogged this from panddorica
- neekae-chan reblogged this from aspieat221b
- felodrassil reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- miaoumaiden reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- miaoumaiden likes this
- idlewildly likes this
- teapotprincess likes this
- gemechesherlynx likes this
- gimmemybook likes this
- liesareyourlifeee likes this
- thehealingbutterfly likes this
- dewers likes this
- wolfesbrain reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- blingostarr likes this
- hollow-gram likes this
- goldenheartedrose reblogged this from aspieat221b
- undermycroftsumbrella likes this
- lauraasmara likes this
- panddorica reblogged this from aspieat221b
- pangolin-errant likes this
- aspieat221b reblogged this from patriciaselina
- cantkeepcalmimafangirl reblogged this from youve-got-your-love-online
- icantsleep92 likes this