Q:"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."
will you just... talk about this some?
Sure! This is one of the most-quoted lines from my novel An Abundance of Katherines. Let me begin with some context: Katherines is a novel about a child prodigy named Colin Singleton who has been dumped over and over again by girls named Katherine. Colin is an annoying kid who struggles socially, and he also—like many contemporary teenagers and adults—believes that the most important thing a human being can do is Be In A Romantic Relationship.
Our obsession with romantic (i.e., sexualized) love is really fascinating to me, because I think it is 1. relatively new, and 2. kind of distinctly capitalistic in a bunch of interesting/troubling ways. (Like, I think the romantic love obsession hinges at least partly on us being taught by every advertisement we see that real fulfillment can only be found in a romantic/sexual relationship. Advertisements tell us this because it turns out people are more likely to spend money on items for their sexual partners than for their nonsexual partners, which goes back to like base evolutionary calculations. You also see this behavior in lots of other animals, but right, I am DEFINITELY DIGRESSING.)
So anyway I think one of the byproducts of our obsession with romantic love is that it ends up feeling as if *losing* a romantic partner—the process of missing them—is more intense and powerful than being with a romantic partner, because when you are dating someone, the contemporary culture would have you believe that you are In The Natural State of Things. When that relationship ends, you have been thrown out of Eden and find yourself lacking the one thing that is supposed to make your life worth living, which is of course a far more intense experience than Being In The Natural State of Things.
But this is not the only way to construct romantic love, and in fact you will probably find that no romantic relationship on its own can lead to a fulfilling life and that the vampiric romance novels and Hollywood movies (and to some extent, also the John Green novels) that indicate otherwise are telling you a pleasant and attractive and arguably-corrosive-but-also-arguably-helpful lie.
What Colin must eventually seek is the kind of romantic relationship wherein you love the person more than you will later miss them. (Such relationships do exist. I promise.)
In short, Colin Singleton believed in the validity of that quote in the middle of the novel I wrote about him. But that is not to say that I believe it, or even that the novel believes it by its conclusion.
All that said, novels belong to their readers, so my opinion isn’t that important. If people find something in my stories that they think is true or interesting or helpful, I am always grateful.
tl;dr: Many people (including the character in my novel) think you can never love people as much as you can miss them. I think in the end you can—and must—love others more than you could ever miss them.
2391 Notes/ Hide
- carouselonthemoon reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- wewerejustkidsinl-o-v-e likes this
- swagbowski reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- nohope-justpain reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- pizzaalways likes this
- kuutamolle likes this
- daddysbear reblogged this from serpoundalot
- linear-relationships likes this
- bennsuede likes this
- feigui likes this
- alyrose22 likes this
- kookystagepenguin likes this
- lifeislikealemon likes this
- itsashleyyymarin likes this
- 0wlp0st likes this
- intensityat-its-finest reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- the-toilet-whisperer reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- the-toilet-whisperer likes this
- faithlessfight reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- xenanana likes this
- tac0sauce reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- tac0sauce likes this
- fandomsaremyworld likes this
- ifthesesheetsweretheprovinces likes this
- vatican-cameos-and-bowties likes this
- chick-fil-alex reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- lifegoesonwithoutu likes this
- keenkeenmessmachine likes this
- booooksandcleverness likes this
- mypatronusisrumbleroar likes this
- notchandlerziegler likes this
- sadnayapple reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- just-note2self reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- lifeandotherconcerns likes this
- baileeisntfunny reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- baileeisntfunny likes this
- crookedheartedlove likes this
- softlovingstuff likes this
- cake-and-grief-counseling likes this
- balancingthewerld reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- audioaddiction likes this
- hogwartsismydrug likes this
- the-third-goblin likes this
- gooseduardo reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds and added:
- simplyapocalyptic likes this
- gooseduardo likes this
- jchives reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- ag0nous likes this
- inapapertown likes this