Last week, Sesame Street added a new character, to whom more than 2.7 million American children can now relate. The show introduced Alex, a child whose father is in prison, in a video included in the online interactive, “Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration.”
The “Little Children, Big Challenges” feature aims to reach children facing complex challenges, including bullying, sibling rivalry and parental incarceration.
Recent reports indicate that more than half of inmates in the US have children under the age of 18. As a result, there are more than 2.7 million children with a parent that is incarcerated (that translates to 3.6% or 1 in 28 American children). Most of the parents (66%) are incarcerated for non-violent crimes.
The Sesame Street website provides tips for caregivers to help the growing number of children affected by incarceration and features videos of both real-world children and Sesame Street characters sharing their own experiences with the subject.
Check out their tool-kit here. Well done Sesame Street, well done.
When the media does things right.
Crime rates have been falling for decades in the U.S. but incarceration rates continue to skyrocket. Is that because prisons are keeping “bad people” off the streets? Not if Canada (and Europe and Australia and etc.) is any indication.
I’m glad that Sesame Street is doing this. But as a nation, we need to start asking ourselves how we ended up living in a country that imprisons six times more of its people per capita than any other country in North America or western Europe.
* Except arguably North Korea.
26093 Notes/ Hide
- educated-squirrel reblogged this from educatedsquirrel
- narnianprincess23 likes this
- 4evrbumd reblogged this from helainetieu
- omgeeitsjomariee likes this
- espieimp reblogged this from thequipkid
- nobinboron likes this
- 003n reblogged this from mowthelawn
- turdprison likes this
- mowthelawn reblogged this from frostbackscat
- choose-carefully-123 reblogged this from littlebbredbird
- burglarbilbo likes this
- littlebbredbird reblogged this from kiotsukatanna
- azurecrucis likes this
- azurecrucis reblogged this from frostbackscat
- rhinvan reblogged this from deucaleoning
- icenova318 reblogged this from frostbackscat
- skelikin likes this
- madrino likes this
- callmemaurice reblogged this from frostbackscat
- listen-look-feel likes this
- deucaleoning reblogged this from marshyoftheblobs
- thekingoflegoland reblogged this from frostbackscat
- monothewhitemage likes this
- amarantae likes this
- dapperallonsy likes this
- jarexrose reblogged this from frostbackscat
- jarexrose likes this
- no-takers-for-the-ghost-toast likes this
- juuchan17 likes this
- absativelybadical likes this
- solarisapprentice reblogged this from miyukomatsuda
- solarisapprentice likes this
- mr-argh likes this
- hoshikostar reblogged this from frostbackscat
- xanthas927 reblogged this from frostbackscat
- xanthas927 likes this
- pureplacebo reblogged this from marshyoftheblobs
- theclockworkskull likes this
- pureplacebo likes this
- phantom-locked likes this
- apples-cherries105 reblogged this from frostbackscat
- miyukomatsuda reblogged this from frostbackscat
- miyukomatsuda likes this
- frostbackscat reblogged this from marshyoftheblobs
- marshyoftheblobs reblogged this from kiotsukatanna
- cotonpop reblogged this from kiotsukatanna
- kiotsukatanna reblogged this from thequipkid
- brujajajaja likes this
- thequipkid reblogged this from roidyraw
- waka-flockof-seagulls reblogged this from darrypls