Last week, Sesame Street added a new character, to whom more than 2.7 million American children can now relate. The show introduced Alex, a child whose father is in prison, in a video included in the online interactive, “Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration.”
The “Little Children, Big Challenges” feature aims to reach children facing complex challenges, including bullying, sibling rivalry and parental incarceration.
Recent reports indicate that more than half of inmates in the US have children under the age of 18. As a result, there are more than 2.7 million children with a parent that is incarcerated (that translates to 3.6% or 1 in 28 American children). Most of the parents (66%) are incarcerated for non-violent crimes.
The Sesame Street website provides tips for caregivers to help the growing number of children affected by incarceration and features videos of both real-world children and Sesame Street characters sharing their own experiences with the subject.
Check out their tool-kit here. Well done Sesame Street, well done.
When the media does things right.
Crime rates have been falling for decades in the U.S. but incarceration rates continue to skyrocket. Is that because prisons are keeping “bad people” off the streets? Not if Canada (and Europe and Australia and etc.) is any indication.
I’m glad that Sesame Street is doing this. But as a nation, we need to start asking ourselves how we ended up living in a country that imprisons six times more of its people per capita than any other country in North America or western Europe.
* Except arguably North Korea.
26085 Notes/ Hide
- itsivania reblogged this from approachingsignificance
- quinnerself reblogged this from the-timelord-from-1973
- quinnerself likes this
- itsdarkbetweenthestars likes this
- amoona-92 likes this
- kmreblogs reblogged this from the-timelord-from-1973
- goldendewflower reblogged this from approachingsignificance
- iate-ababyjpg likes this
- lady-legs-watson likes this
- mewonusumu likes this
- komyona-maho likes this
- the-timelord-from-1973 reblogged this from koncreates
- loungeofthelost likes this
- unicornsallaround reblogged this from approachingsignificance
- indig0-f0x reblogged this from psy-gemz
- leafwaves likes this
- midnightbluemoose reblogged this from battleiswonbuthechildislost
- herbackhurts reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- crazytarawitch reblogged this from femme-fantale
- pandora224 reblogged this from battleiswonbuthechildislost
- pandora224 likes this
- wheretheshallowsbreak likes this
- femme-fantale reblogged this from battleiswonbuthechildislost
- thatgeeekyfemme likes this
- battleiswonbuthechildislost reblogged this from ahbeemayzee
- sawyeriii1776 reblogged this from itarobattemon
- t00tought0die reblogged this from nessanotarized
- postsforbrina reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- blackboybe likes this
- mega-weedle reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- cemeterycake likes this
- bloodyhellbighead likes this
- oweztopoczuj reblogged this from sixtysixsix
- asnakewithwingsisadragon likes this
- fascistoctopus likes this
- shatnerian reblogged this from taloness
- taloness reblogged this from jhenne-bean
- taloness likes this
- roxinary reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- rabbitzfeet reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- goodbarny reblogged this from sixtyxcelph
- ohthisisawkward reblogged this from guerrillafeminism
- sharktour reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- sept151983 reblogged this from yerawizardoldsp0rt
- yerawizardoldsp0rt reblogged this from d0nt-p4n1c
- potentialworldruler likes this
- retro-beauty reblogged this from miscreantrose
- miscreantrose reblogged this from the-she-celt
- thelesserhalf reblogged this from forholyname