Q:I've seen your comments on twitter and Facebook and feel like I am more anonymous on those sites than here. Sir, Twilight is made fun of because it glorifies very bad things. It takes horrible things like stalking, self harm and suicide, abusive tendencies, wanting to murder someone, and a loss of self identity in place of your significant other's identity and makes them seem beautiful and romantic. I beg you to read the books, because there is a lot of very bad stuff in them.
I hope I can be clear about this, but my thoughts all day have been a bit muddled, so I apologize if I express myself poorly or come off as defensive or anything.
1. There are deeply problematic relationship dynamics glorified in Twilight.
2. Criticizing misogyny in art is good and important.
3. My concern is that popular work by women receives far more vitriolic criticism from the public (like, in terms of number of demeaning jokes made by Jay Leno*) than popular work created by men.
4. So I think we’re talking about two different kinds of criticism: The totally legitimate criticism we see in literary journals and feminist web sites about misogyny, and the demeaning and dismissive this-sucks-because-teen-girls-like-it-and-everyone-knows-that-teen-girls-are-not-fully-human criticism we see in popular culture.
5. Also, I would like to see equal attention given to the sexism in popular work by men, from Nicholas Sparks to for instance J. D. Salinger. Catcher in the Rye—although I like it very much—is profoundly and disturbingly misogynistic and yet seems to get a critical pass both online and off. This happens a lot, I think, with books by men, and I don’t want male writers (including me!) to get that pass.
6. I might be wrong about any/all of this. I’m wrong a lot, and always trying to learn.
*EDIT: Apparently Jay Leno has retired. You learn something new every day.
10637 Notes/ Hide
- sngenderspecial likes this
- smokeymcbandit reblogged this from deadlydinos and added:
- asliceofwonderland likes this
- ipreferthe-drummer likes this
- natsuluv likes this
- vraie likes this
- sialia-mortis likes this
- chances-of-indigo likes this
- ghostxbiscuit reblogged this from eirwen
- take-on-megan reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- whoopdeedoofus reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- lamalagua likes this
- runinthefields likes this
- justalilwicked reblogged this from deadlydinos
- churchofcolfer0527 likes this
- wickedpixii reblogged this from borogroves
- gracessacrafice likes this
- queenbean03 likes this
- misfitreindeer reblogged this from delusionalforharmony and added:
- misfitreindeer likes this
- delusionalforharmony reblogged this from deadlydinos
- clintashapuff reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- meow-meow-bunny reblogged this from celebreceipts
- eirwen reblogged this from loislance
- spoopy-saxophone likes this
- teababe27 likes this
- koenigsmund likes this
- blue-boringers-fallen-angel reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- blue-boringers-fallen-angel likes this
- dontshagthetalent likes this
- katiekupkake likes this
- spookybub-bubs likes this
- pizzaconfidence likes this
- nathaylee likes this
- the-mischief-managers likes this
- bmth-sws likes this
- iamsarahtaher likes this
- its-chinatown likes this
- ehmeplscanunot likes this
- queerbanshee likes this
- thelittlesnicketlass reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- august-songs likes this
- eatplaylovesing reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- hamster-balls likes this
- cosmos-oddity likes this
- namelessnina likes this
- sidratblue reblogged this from theappleppielifestyle
- probablygoingtodieatsomepointso reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- probablygoingtodieatsomepointso likes this
- endlessrainintopapercups reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds