Q:I've seen your comments on twitter and Facebook and feel like I am more anonymous on those sites than here. Sir, Twilight is made fun of because it glorifies very bad things. It takes horrible things like stalking, self harm and suicide, abusive tendencies, wanting to murder someone, and a loss of self identity in place of your significant other's identity and makes them seem beautiful and romantic. I beg you to read the books, because there is a lot of very bad stuff in them.
I hope I can be clear about this, but my thoughts all day have been a bit muddled, so I apologize if I express myself poorly or come off as defensive or anything.
1. There are deeply problematic relationship dynamics glorified in Twilight.
2. Criticizing misogyny in art is good and important.
3. My concern is that popular work by women receives far more vitriolic criticism from the public (like, in terms of number of demeaning jokes made by Jay Leno*) than popular work created by men.
4. So I think we’re talking about two different kinds of criticism: The totally legitimate criticism we see in literary journals and feminist web sites about misogyny, and the demeaning and dismissive this-sucks-because-teen-girls-like-it-and-everyone-knows-that-teen-girls-are-not-fully-human criticism we see in popular culture.
5. Also, I would like to see equal attention given to the sexism in popular work by men, from Nicholas Sparks to for instance J. D. Salinger. Catcher in the Rye—although I like it very much—is profoundly and disturbingly misogynistic and yet seems to get a critical pass both online and off. This happens a lot, I think, with books by men, and I don’t want male writers (including me!) to get that pass.
6. I might be wrong about any/all of this. I’m wrong a lot, and always trying to learn.
*EDIT: Apparently Jay Leno has retired. You learn something new every day.
10633 Notes/ Hide
- meow-meow-bunny reblogged this from celebreceipts
- eirwen reblogged this from starkandbark
- caathevampire likes this
- teababe27 likes this
- koenigsmund likes this
- blue-boringers-fallen-angel reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- blue-boringers-fallen-angel likes this
- dontshagthetalent likes this
- katiekupkake likes this
- heybub-bubs likes this
- earth-filled-air likes this
- pizzaconfidence likes this
- nathaylee likes this
- the-mischief-managers likes this
- posi-ti-vity likes this
- bmth-sws likes this
- seasalticecream32 likes this
- iamsarahtaher likes this
- its-chinatown likes this
- ehmeplscanunot likes this
- queerbanshee likes this
- thelittlesnicketlass reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- august-songs likes this
- eatplaylovesing reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- hamster-balls likes this
- cosmos-oddity likes this
- namelessnina likes this
- sidratblue reblogged this from theappleppielifestyle
- probablygoingtodieatsomepointso reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- probablygoingtodieatsomepointso likes this
- endlessrainintopapercups reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- t0xic-parradise likes this
- columbines likes this
- nuhtea reblogged this from kungfunurse
- pinetreekate likes this
- cupboardstorage likes this
- kungfunurse reblogged this from theappleppielifestyle
- dalekshavethedoctorathogwarts likes this
- artionn likes this
- thedoctorwhomustnotbenamed likes this
- likethedaysofsummer reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- therandomnuttypielover reblogged this from puntifex-maximus
- puntifex-maximus reblogged this from excitedde
- yukitheluckycat reblogged this from celebreceipts
- hidingincorners likes this
- asherfreak reblogged this from theappleppielifestyle
- wildeyedinwonder reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- nightsblog reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- imanagedmischief likes this