For the past few months (as a result of the poll that Hank made asking whether vlogbrothers should have pre-roll ads and where that money should go), all proceeds from advertisements on the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel have been split in half between the Foundation to Decrease World Suck and a new fund that will be used to assist creators in making cool, important, and great projects.
Now, we are looking for more people to help out!
If you have a project, series, or content and need help taking that project to the next level, please fill out our Sponsorship Application form.
We’ll be looking over responses as they come in — and can’t wait to see all the awesome projects you’ve got going on!
New video: A Smidge of a Crisis
In which John wonders what to do with his life.
And it looks like we’re going to get there in two days. Amazing. THANK YOU.
During my time in Ethiopia, I met many people who rely on health care outposts like the one seen in the bottom two pictures here. Through these outposts, children and families get vaccines, diagnoses, and treatment for diseases like diarrhea and pneumonia.
But most of these families, and most of their health care facilities, don’t have regular access to clean water. When I asked people about their greatest needs, almost all of them—from the Women’s Health Army volunteers to children—cited clean water first.
More than 45 million Ethiopians live without clean water. I spoke to women who walk miles every other day with heavy jerrycans to get drinking water for their families. The people I met explained how lack of clean water is a health problem, a financial problem, and a family problem.
So for the next week nerdfighteria is teaming up with water.org to raise money to build sustainable wells so that more than 4,000 people in Ethiopia can have clean water. Please join me in donating—or, if you can’t, in spreading the word. Thanks, and DFTBA.
UPDATE: Bill Gates has pledged to match the fundraiser if we hit our goal of $100,000 for Ethiopia.
Project for Awesome Nerdfighter Music Compilation!
Hey nerdfighters. As you know, the Project for Awesome is coming up (on December 17th!) and we at vlogbrothers headquarters are working very hard to make sure this year’s P4A is a great one.
This year, we would like to include a new kind of perk, kind of like the Nerdfighter Art perk, but with music!
We are looking for any and all songs by nerdfighters, about nerdfighteria. These songs will be collected and formatted into a compilation album (or compilation albumS, depending on how many submissions come in) that will be available for purchase as a downloadable perk as part of the Project for Awesome Indiegogo campaign. Money will be raised for charity. People will be able to acquire lots of great nerdfighter music. Super cool stuff.
Read on for submission guidelines and the like.
- All songs must be either about nerdfighteria, about any/all of John’s books, or covers of Hank’s songs.
- Artist name & song title must be included with your submission. You may also include a link to your music on the web (bandcamp, itunes, etc), and any other text about the song you like.
- Songs must be submitted in as high a quality as possible; lossless files (AIFF, WAV) are preferred.
- Submit all songs via wetransfer to email@example.com with “P4A MUSIC” included somewhere in the message.
- Submissions will be accepted until November 1st, 2014.
- Multiple submissions are very much allowed, but please send them in one at a time!
- We will reach out to those whose songs are selected for the compilation to confirm their inclusion no later than December 1st.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re very excited to listen to all the lovely things you make!
- Valerie & Michael
Question Tuesday: In which I discuss the purpose of metaphors, cheesy jokes, slaying, the hypothesized butt brains of dinosaurs, the etymology of the word orange, my deleted cameo in The Fault in Our Stars, and my favorite Harry Potter book.
Hello there, artists of nerdfighteria! After the success of the Nerdfighter Art Tier of last year’s Project for Awesome, I’m teaming up with the P4A team once again and need your help!
The P4A, as always, will be raising money to give to charities. However, some people have more time and talent to give than money (you know who you are) so we’d like to recruit you to provide creations for reward tiers in our IndieGoGo campaign. You create the artwork and it will be and sent to a fellow nerdfighter who claims the perk!
- Ideally, you will be making 15+ items and you will be shipping them to Missoula, Montana to be distributed to the people who claimed the Nerdfighter Art Perk!
- We’re looking for small, easily shipped items. This can include jewelry, knitwear, small plushies, small drawings and paintings, digital art prints, etc.
- The pieces of art do not need to be nerdfighter-themed but it is highly encouraged!
- The estimated worth of the art should be about $25-30 because the perk will be sold for $40. That’s not a strict amount, just keep it in mind when making your proposals!
- If you’re interested, you need to email us at email@example.com by October 10th with an example of what you have/will be creating and what quantity. A picture of it for us to see would be extra helpful when sorting through everyone’s submissions!
- We will let you know if it’s reasonable and provide additional information around October 13th, giving you more than a month to complete your pieces.
We’re extremely excited to be working on this project again this year, we hope you’re excited too! ^-^
- Emma, Valerie, and Hank
Thank you to everyone who donated art to the P4A last year and to those of you who plan on doing so this year!
Let’s talk about our stereotypes about Africa and how ridiculous they are. Also college!
I found the giraffes making love on the TFIOS movie
Now that I bought the movie on iTunes, I can confirm that this is real. (Also hilarious.) You can see it very clearly 1:36 into the movie. I wasn’t there the day they shot this scene, so I have no idea who did it, but there were several nerdfighters on the crew. Whoever is responsible for these beautiful mating plastic giraffes: THANK YOU, MY HERO.
I found the giraffes making love on the TFIOS movie
I’ve been waiting for SO LONG for this post! This is the most definite Nerdfighter reference in the movie…so pleased!
Is this real? I did not notice this while we were filming. I wonder if propsmaster Kelly did this? (She’s a nerdfighter, so it’s possible.)
This is the perfect present, and I’m so grateful to Hank and to everyone who has donated. (You can still donate at llamajohn.com if you’re interested!)
Thanks for all your birthday wishes!
Finally finished my Nerdfighter t-shirt quilt!!! I’m so happy with how it turned out!! No one really gets all the nerdy stuff but I know and nerd fighters will know and that’s all that matters to me!! The 2nd one down on the left is DFTBA in galifrey, sadly the camera couldn’t pick it up. I thought the constellation fabric was fitting, and I loved the handwritten-letter print too much not to have it! So grateful to everyone who helped me with this project and to everyone who taught me how to make it! DFTBA